Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Un-Zipped


We have all got the Fall 08 runway trends memorized: the color black, country chic, black lace, strong silhouettes, modest necklines, etc etc. I love all those, but for me zippers will also be on my list.

You may be asking"butModern Marie, aren't zippers on all most of our clothes anyways?" Well yes they are but no longer will they just be for practicality, now they actually accent a garment.

If you look closely at particularly the YSL and Pre-Fall Chanel, you can see clearly exposed zippers - places where they should be as well as places out of the ordinary, like a trim on an entire jacket.




i think zippers add an extravagant yet rocker look to an outfit.

Love this purse in the July 08 issue of Harpers Bazaar by YSL.

Of course all this zipper talk got me in the mood for a DIY. I saw a flower zipper broach in February's Teen Vogue and had to figure out a way to make it. I went to Jo-Anns and bought one long black zipper (its near the thread), but they have every color and metal color imaginable. I pretty much just unzipped it and started looping and hot gluing from the outside in. I had to play around with it before I started hot gluing it in place. Then I hot glued a broach pin on the back and ZIPPIDY DO DAH!


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow you're amazing at DIYing again! love the zipper rose, like punk princess and i love zippers too! they're really fun when they're exposed b/c it adds a bit of edge and they're easier to zip too :)

WendyB said...

Excellent DIY!

Rachel said...

I absolutely LOVE that zipper flower pin! WOW!

Richel said...

exposed zippers are so fantastically ingenious. I love them!

Madame Dior said...

your zipper rose is awessommee, i will have to try it out =]

theresa said...

that is awesome!! I love it.
:)

yiqin; said...

Your banner makes me hungry!!! :/ I want a zipper dress & zipper skirt!! & your zipper flower pin is amazing

la petite fashionista said...

you did NOT just make a rose broach out of a zipper. you are too freaking talented!! :) so cute! i love exposed zippers as well.. makes such a statement

xoxo

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Wow! I love it. I need to go snap up some zippers asap!

taffy. said...

wow, that is adorable.
your DIYing is awesome.

the Launderette said...

this isn't a very thought provoking or innovative comment but...

i loooove exposed zippers!

Meg said...

That's a great DIY. I might consider that next time I'm at the fabric store. Very impressive!

Kat said...

I love the idea of an otherwise girly dress with a zip down the back, its just a great detail.
That flower pin is pretty awesome!

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

this could be just about the most creative, amazing thing i've seen thus far. loving your originality. let's trade links!

Candice said...

zippers are so visually ineresting
i love it.

Katherine said...

Reminds me of those Christian Louboutin heels with the zippers. Exposed zippers is such an unexpected trend, but I love it.

Jaclyn said...

That zipper flower is AMAZING!!! I want one, I really want to make one. It looks really cool.
Belle

the fabled needle (jen) said...

very very cool!

i have to admit, posts like this make me look forward to fall already!

Cara said...

This flower is awesome! There's something Gothic about it that prevents it from looking too girly. I could totally see it on the Chanel runway.

Always In Style said...

I totally agree with you - I'm loving this trend - and NICE DIY!

I'm adding you to our Stylish Friends btw...cheers!

Katie said...

that is an amazing idea!

Unknown said...

Is there any way you could explain how to make these? I'd really like to try one, but it looks a bit complicated. Maybe you could break down the steps for us?
Thanks and keep up your amazing blog!