Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas in the Black Forest



After going to Germany last fall, I was inspired for that year's annual Christmas party theme: Christmas in the Black Forest! Snow covered red mushrooms, the dark evergreen trees, the pattern of wood, and a gingerbread house, all sprinkled with the lightest coating of glitter. I wanted to create a place that if you thought you saw a cute little gnome out of the corner of your eye, chances were you actually did.



I made a yule log (a German chocolate cake roll) that was supposed to look like an actual log of wood complete with meringue mushrooms.




I'm not gonna lie, these mushrooms were difficult to make. I stuck the stems in styrofoam and covered it with snow.

Toadstool cupcakes - recipe here!


Gingerbread Trees


I bought the gingerbread house already made from Target.

The drink station over the stove: I put a large poster frame over the burners to make it like another surface.

I put branches from the Christmas tree under the glass.



We served German classics: different sausages and bratwurst, cheesy spatzle, salad, etc.

I affixed faux flocked branches onto the light fixture above the food.



This wrapping paper by Martha Stewart crafts served at the table cloth and motif for the party.







Besides doing a "hot potato" gift game, I gave favors of this CD full of cool Christmas songs. I made the label using the wood pattern and put shroom polka dots all over.

Auf Wiedersehen!

10 comments:

taffy. said...

AH!
the christmas decor is just too cool.
essentially amazing.

i'm so jealous of your creativity!

erin meagan said...

This is just so creative, I love it!

Anonymous said...

omg you seriously must do this a career, these parties are beyond adorable I wish I was there. my favorite part is the meringue mushrooms, how genius!

Nicola said...

oh wow! all the food looks amazing..so so so so so so so cute!
the house is wonderful!
:)

Flavia Flanders said...

So cute and very original.

Anonymous said...

I'm really diggin the meringue mushrooms, those are pure awesomeness :)

PAC said...

love your pictures!!

Kayla said...

wow, it looks like you put a lot of effort into the food and presentation...and it was totally worth it! it looks great, and made me very hungry!

Aisha said...

Man, I wish I was a guest of your parties! I bet you are the best host ever.

maverickandlove said...

OMG> I FEEL LIKE I JUST DIED AND WHEN TO CHRISTMAS HEAVEN on your blog!!! hahaha i love the photos!!! i have a christmas party every year and usually make gingerbread houses at least once during winter break- but never looks as good as urs haha